Bulk editing - very cool, but a little (jokingly) sad...

Morgan Schweers

29 Apr, 2009 08:45 PM

Greetings,

Ah well... Bulk editing takes a bit of the wind out of that part of my Triage project but I've still got chained ticket management (the original point of Triage) to sustain me. (Where I apply milestones, tags, boilerplate text, and state to a Lighthouse ticket with a single button, which also moves me to the next ticket in the search...)

I'd only just started working on bulk ticket editing, in fact. :)

Don't think for a second I'm anything but wryly humorous, and VERY appreciative about the new feature! It's a measure of how important it is to me that I started implementing it myself, so I'm very, very grateful to see it in the main Lighthouse app.

Thank you!

-- Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

1. 1 Posted by Morgan Schweers on 29 Apr, 2009 09:13 PM

Greetings,

Actually...this being the 'suggestions' area and all... :)

Could you expose bulk update via the API? I ask because my approach to ticket triage is based around common tickets that my users regularly report. The Triage app allows me to create a 'bucket', which is a combination of status, milestone, boilerplate, and tag (I should add 'assigned to' I suppose), which I can then apply singly or in groups.

I'm guessing by one of the other posts that you're batching bulk edits for performance, and if you offered the feature through the API then I would definitely make Triage use that instead of applying changes one at a time...

-- Morgan Schweers, CyberFOX!

2. 2 Posted by Rick on 29 Apr, 2009 09:15 PM

Oh actually, we've had the API call available for months (and documented for several weeks) :) I've cited it several times in various discussions on here where people have been asking for the feature.

It's not in the ruby Lighthouse API yet just because the call itself breaks the rails API conventions. It's a rather unique API call that requires an API token (two for cross-account migrations).

So, apparently the only thing sad thing is my failure in communicating some of Lighthouse's backend changes better.

3. 3 Posted by Morgan Schweers on 29 Apr, 2009 09:48 PM

Greetings,

No, no! The mock-sadness (wryness?) is that it partially obsoletes some stuff I've been doing. :) Sorry for the confusion.

I originally had '(If it's not already; I haven't checked.)' next to the API note, but then I went and didn't see anything recent in the Caged/lighthouse-api commits, so I figured I'd 'checked', so I removed it.

I'm reading the that API call page now... I'll work on bringing that into my Triage tool ASAP...as soon as I can understand how to submit multiple ticket ids...probably an search command I haven't used before?

How would I update tickets 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 to state:resolved?

I definitely understand http://YOURACCOUNT.lighthouseapp.com/projects/YOURPROJECT/bulk_edit.json?_token=YOURTOKEN&command=state:resolved&query= but what goes after query= to update specific ticket ids? (I suppose I could sniff POST operations on your bulk edit page and guess that it's probably the same parameters, but asking is probably better supported... :) )

-- Morgan Schweers

4. 4 Posted by Morgan Schweers on 29 Apr, 2009 10:03 PM

Greetings,

Also, is there a command to change the title, or (more importantly) add a new comment to all the tickets as part of the bulk operation? I usually try to tell users who are watching a ticket why I'm making a change to a lot of tickets as a brief comment.

If not, no prob, I'm just poking at it to see what I can do with it.

-- Morgan Schweers

5. 5 Posted by Rick on 29 Apr, 2009 11:00 PM

No confusion. Anything sarcastic or wry doesn't translate too well to text ;)

Hmm, I don't know if it's possible to target individual ticket numbers. That's something that was added at the last minute when the checkboxes were added. I may just deprecate that API call and add a new one based off the same tickets page.

Bulk edit operations do add a comment, but only a standard 'bulk edit' comment. I'll see about adding an optional message parameter to it.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac