Customizable Milestone States and Dates

Eric Cole

14 Oct, 2013 09:35 PM

Currently a Milestone is either open or closed. It would be nice if there was a Milestone State kind of like a ticket state and have the states be customizable like the ticket states are.

There is also only a Due date available on a milestone, which we hardly ever use. But we would use other dates, like date the milestone was made live on production. Would be nice to be able to add date fields to the milestone so we could track dates like that for historical purposes.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tiger Team on 15 Oct, 2013 12:36 AM

Hey Eric,

that's an interesting idea. We are beefing up milestones in the next version of LH, but haven't thought about adding states or more dates. Very interesting concept.

We try to keep LH as simple as possible, so there may be some conflict there! However for your date idea, I bet just abstract metadata would handle that case.

2. 2 Posted by Eric Cole on 15 Oct, 2013 02:16 PM

Hello Courtenay,

Thanks for the quick response. Could you explain exactly how to use the abstract metadata to handle milestone dates?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tiger Team on 15 Oct, 2013 07:12 PM

oh.. it is not actually possible right now. Milestones are intentionally very simple. I was trying to think out-loud about ways of implementing your idea.

Are you just thinking about one date, or do you have more data on a milestone?

4. 4 Posted by Eric Cole on 15 Oct, 2013 07:31 PM

Just one date, yeah.

Right now for our compiled code projects there is a date the milestone was made live, which is different than the date any certain ticket was closed. For our web application milestones we have a ticket state of live because we can make individual tickets live independent of the milestone and the ticket state is changed to live when it is pushed to the live environment.

Once all the tickets in a milestone have been fully tested and ran through QA then the live environment is updated with the newly compiled code.

If something ever comes up with a ticket and I'm asked when that change was made live, currently I have no way of knowing that by looking in lighthouse. I have to go to the compiled build and look at the date, and even that can be inaccurate if the date it was compiled is different than the date it was updated to live.

We certainly could track that date internally somewhere, but right now we don't. It would be nice if we could keep track of that in Lighthouse on the Milestone.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Tiger Team on 15 Oct, 2013 09:14 PM

Hmm. For a quick fix, just change the milestone title or add it to the
    description :)

6. 6 Posted by Eric Cole on 16 Oct, 2013 10:35 PM

Yeah, that's a good idea actually. We'll start doing that for the date.

Would still be nice to have customizable states for milestones. :)

7. Tiger Team closed this discussion on 16 Oct, 2013 11:19 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac