Add a priority to milestones, regardless of scheduling & filter by assignment

David Cairns

23 Jul, 2013 06:43 PM

We have a small number of large projects that have many milestones. These operate as a backlog, so they are rarely time-specific. Currently, we (manually) keep an ordered list of these milestones outside of Lighthouse.

1. It would be awesome if we could assign an order of priority to milestones within Lighthouse, regardless of that milestone's scheduling.

2. Along with an view of "all" It would be even more awesome if we could filter that ordered list by assigned user, so if a user has no tickets assigned to them within that milestone, it is excluded from that user's list.

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Nicole on 23 Jul, 2013 07:30 PM

David -

I'll log this with requests. Can you explain why a scheduling milestone wouldn't be a way of prioritizing the milestones in your workflow?

Thanks,
    Nicole

2. 2 Posted by David Cairns on 23 Jul, 2013 08:01 PM

You say "a scheduling milestone", but I assume you are referring to adding scheduled dates to milestones.

This wouldn't work for us because our process is agile and not fixed to dates. Our workflow is to tackle milestones as an ordered list, however, not every milestone is relevant to every team member. We adjust the milestone prioritisation according to changing needs. It would require some milestones to not have priority set, as they're more "someday" than "now". Thank you!

3. 3 Posted by Nicole on 24 Jul, 2013 04:26 PM

David -

Seems like we have a development branch in the works for manually ordering the milestones. I'll update you as soon as we have it deployed, likely the beginning of next week.

Thanks,
    Nicole

4. 4 Posted by David Cairns on 24 Jul, 2013 04:34 PM

That's great news! We'll be looking out for it.

Thanks & regards,

David.

5. 5 Posted by David Cairns on 13 Aug, 2013 10:40 AM

Hi Nicole,

You previously said this was likely for the beginning of week commencing 29th July. Is there any update on the likely timing at this stage?

Thanks & regards,

David..

6. 6 Posted by Nicole on 13 Aug, 2013 02:36 PM

Yes, it's in QA and still working on the best functionality for the
    feature. I'll see if I can get a better update today in our morning meeting.

Thanks,
    Nicole

7. 7 Posted by Julien on 13 Aug, 2013 04:56 PM

Hey David,

The bits and pieces are there, but it still requires work. I'll refrain from giving you an ETA, as we work on multiple things at the same time, but I'll keep you posted when we have an update.

Cheers.

8. 8 Posted by David Cairns on 20 Aug, 2013 10:57 AM

Thanks Julien,

Happy to help if you need any beta-testing!

Otherwise, look forward to your update.

Cheers,

David.

9. 9 Posted by Julien on 20 Aug, 2013 05:11 PM

Hey David,

This is live. When you click on the milestones tab, you should be able to see all your milestones, and reorder them. This gives you one place to see everything. It's pretty simple, but it should give you what you need.

Let me know how it goes.

10. 10 Posted by Julien on 23 Aug, 2013 05:49 PM

Hey David,

Just following up with you to see if the change was helpful to your workflow.

Thanks!

11. 11 Posted by David Cairns on 27 Aug, 2013 02:07 PM

Hi Julien,

This is a great addition, thank you! I'd suggest renaming "All" as "All Open" (or just "Open"), given it does not display completed milestones as far as I can tell.

What would make this a perfect fit for our workflow is part "2" of my original request, so you can filter by assignment. I'll include this again below...

- Along with an view of "all/open" It would be even more awesome if we could filter that ordered list by assigned user, so if a user has no tickets assigned to them within that milestone, it is excluded from that user's list. There would be a default "Assigned to: Any" which ignores any assignment filtering.

Hope that makes sense...let me know if not!?

Thanks again,

David.

12. 12 Posted by Julien on 27 Aug, 2013 03:21 PM

Hey David,

I'm afraid this is too narrow a use case and would confuse most other users. In particular, while a user may not have assigned tickets, there could be unassigned tickets, and/or the user may want to pick up tickets currently assigned to another user.

If your goal is to get a "what"s next" sort of list, you could easily use a query such as: state:open responsible:me sort:milestone. Unfortunately, right now, this does not take into account the milestone order we introduced, because I forgot :/ So I can fix that. Would that be a good working solution for you?

13. 13 Posted by David Cairns on 27 Aug, 2013 04:06 PM

Hi Julien,

With the fix you mentioned (ie. ensuring milestones can be sorted by
    priority order with that query) this would be a workable solution, yes.
    Please let us know once you've got this in place.

Many thanks again, you'll be making our dev team very happy with these
    improvements! :-)

David.

14. 14 Posted by Julien on 27 Aug, 2013 10:08 PM

Hey David,

That query should now work as expected.

Cheers!

15. Julien closed this discussion on 03 Sep, 2013 10:24 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac