Organizational API token

Greg Price

24 Apr, 2013 02:34 PM

It would be very useful to be able to generate an API token that is attached to an organization rather than a user. This would allow us to set up apps with API tokens and not have to remember to change the token if and when a particular individual leaves the organization.

1. 1 Posted by Nicole on 24 Apr, 2013 02:55 PM

Greg -

Since API tokens are unique to the user and basically act as that users login, it is usually best practice that each person use their own for other services. You could create a "group" user profile and invite it as a member of your account to achieve what you're talking about.

Thanks,
    Nicole

2. Nicole closed this discussion on 24 Apr, 2013 02:55 PM.

3. Greg Price re-opened this discussion on 24 Apr, 2013 03:05 PM

4. 2 Posted by Greg Price on 24 Apr, 2013 03:05 PM

I can understand why you would want all ticket modifications to be tied to a particular user, but that's not necessary for read operations. For example, I was just working on a chat bot that listens for Lighthouse links and responds with some basic ticket information. Adding a dummy user for this purpose avoids the need to change the bot's credentials if someone leaves, but it then means that we have to manage a dummy user (which also means an extra email address in our system).

5. 3 Posted by Julien on 24 Apr, 2013 04:56 PM

Hi Greg,

If the use of the token is purely readonly, the owner can simply generate a read-only one, and have everyone use it. Is that not addressing your need? If so, can you explain a little more why?

If the bot has to take action, it makes sense to make the bot a user, because actions on items need ownership. When users look at a change, they want to know who and why, and it seems important to me to know when a bot does something vs when a human does.

Let me know what you think.

6. 4 Posted by Greg Price on 24 Apr, 2013 05:03 PM

The bot doesn't (and shouldn't) have an individual owner. If I use my API token (as I have done thus far while writing and testing the bot), then if/when I leave the organization, the bot will stop working. If there were a read-only organizational token, then the bot could continue to function no matter which individuals left.

7. 5 Posted by Julien on 24 Apr, 2013 05:12 PM

Yes, I get that, but the owner of an account is very unlikely to change. Why not use a token generated by the owner in that case?

8. 6 Posted by Greg Price on 24 Apr, 2013 05:18 PM

Why do you think the owner is unlikely to change? The owner of our account is just one of our PMs. He's not necessarily any less likely to leave than any other individual in the organization. Even if the account owner were less likely to leave, it just means that we would run into the problem less often.

9. 7 Posted by Julien on 24 Apr, 2013 05:31 PM

Well, in organizations, the head changes less often than the individual members. Though clearly that is just my impression, and an average, and can be wrong in particular cases.

I was also not opposing the fact that an organization token is a good idea, simply trying to better understand your problem. I'll create a ticket for this, but I can't really tell when it will enter our development schedule, so for your particular account, I would suggest going the "bot as a user" route (especially since you have unlimited users). I know it involves managing one more email address on your side, but this will definitely be the fastest way.

10. 8 Posted by Greg Price on 24 Apr, 2013 05:33 PM

Thanks. I didn't mean to sound so confrontational. We are currently planning to go with the dummy user approach.

11. 9 Posted by Julien on 24 Apr, 2013 05:40 PM

No worries. I'll close the discussion, but it will reopen when we get to the ticket.

Cheers.

12. Julien closed this discussion on 24 Apr, 2013 05:40 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac