Project Permissions

John Finley

04 Jan, 2011 04:32 PM

I'd like to create a Project where anyone logging into our Lighthouse instance can visit to review the tickets, messages, documents and pages. I'm not sure if the Public permission solves this as it states "This project's tickets and milestones can be viewed by anyone. Additionally, people can register and add new tickets."

I'm not sure what that means. Who is "anyone"? And what's this about "registering"?

I'd just like to create a Project that is public to the users of my Lighthouse app. At the moment, the only way I can see to do this is to visit each person's permissions and add that project to their list of viewable projects. This is challenging as we will have a lot of new users coming into the system.

Is there a better way to make this happen?

1. 1 Posted by Nicole on 04 Jan, 2011 06:18 PM

Anyone is anyone who can view the page in a browser. Only registered Lighthouse users would be able to create new tickets within the project.

I'm not sure what you mean by "users of my Lighthouse app". If you are referring to your Lighthouse account, then yes, if you have a public project any one you wanted to be able to make tickets in a public project would need a Lighthouse user profile.

If you are saying you use Lighthouse as a bug tracker for application you run that has a separate user base you want to be able to leverage for your Lighthouse account, then each of those users will need to create a Lighthouse user profile before they'd be able to create any tickets, but a public project will let them do that without being explicitly invited by you to the project.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if there is still confusion.

Thanks,
    Nicole

2. 2 Posted by John Finley on 04 Jan, 2011 07:49 PM

I'd just like to create a general project that any of the users who can access our Lighthouse "account" to be able to view. Specifically pages and messages. I'd like to open that project up to the Lighthouse users in our account without going person-by-person and granting them access.

Does the Project "Public" permission offer that or will it open up that project to the general public?

3. 3 Posted by Nicole on 04 Jan, 2011 08:58 PM

John -

There are account members (managed by your Access and Permissions section) and then Lighthouse users.

Anyone can see your tickets, messages, pages on a public project without having a Lighthouse user profile. Only those people with a Lighthouse user profile can create new tickets on a public account. Only people with user profiles that are members of your account account can create new messages or pages on a public account.

If your only concern is viewing, then you should be fine selecting the public setting for your project.

Thanks,
    Nicole

4. 4 Posted by Nicole on 10 Jan, 2011 07:33 PM

John -

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
    Nicole

5. Nicole closed this discussion on 10 Jan, 2011 07:33 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac