Why is formatting only available in some places?

Robert Matei

06 Mar, 2009 01:48 AM

This is kind of confusing and frustrating, and a quick search doesn't reveal the answer.

It seems like Lighthouse parses my Markdown in some places and ignores it in others. I haven't been able to figure out the pattern of where I can use it, so... where is and it available? And why the inconsistency?

1. 1 Posted by Will Duncan on 06 Mar, 2009 01:51 AM

Markdown works in tickets, ticket comments, pages and messages. Do you know where it was not working for you or does it just seem at random.

2. 2 Posted by Robert Matei on 06 Mar, 2009 04:53 AM

So it doesn't work in milestone descriptions, and it'd be nice if it worked there too.

I could swear it didn't work in some ticket comments too, but maybe I'm going crazy. I'll give you something actually useful / reproducible if it happens again.

3. 3 Posted by Will Duncan on 06 Mar, 2009 05:02 AM

Yeah. It doesn't work in the milestone description but that's pretty
    easy to do. We're redesigning the milestone area for the next update
    so we should be able to add that in there.

On Mar 5, 2009, at 20:53, Lighthouse Support
    [email blocked] wrote:

4. 4 Posted by Robert Matei on 06 Mar, 2009 05:05 AM

Great, thanks for that. Look forward to seeing the new milestones.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Lighthouse Support < [email blocked]> wrote:

5. 5 Posted by Robert Matei on 06 Mar, 2009 09:10 AM

Ah, so it doesn't work for ticket comments that come in the form of e-mail replies? Maybe that's where my confusion was coming from, I was trying to edit my e-mail replies to add some extra information with formatting, and it didn't seem like Markdown was available.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Lighthouse Support < [email blocked]> wrote:

6. 6 Posted by Will Duncan on 06 Mar, 2009 11:51 AM

It should render out markdown you put in your emails and send into Lighthouse. Do you have a specific example of what did not work, and if it was a new ticket or a reply to a previous ticket?

7. 7 Posted by Robert Matei on 06 Mar, 2009 09:03 PM

OK, I browsed around some more to see if I could discern a pattern. Now it seems like the edit screen for the comments doesn't parse markdown. It doesn't show the 'formatting help' link either. I think the edit screen for the initial ticket doesn't work either, but I haven't confirmed that.

Look for instance at this one, last commenthttp://savvyapp.lighthouseapp.com/projects/26141-dank-wars/tickets/29-wizard-restyling. I tried editing to add some markdown and it didn't get parsed.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:51 AM, Lighthouse Support < [email blocked]> wrote:

8. 8 Posted by Will Duncan on 06 Mar, 2009 10:00 PM

Actually I was mistaken, Markdown does work in Milestone descriptions. Do you have a specific example of what did not work? Editing a ticket also renders additional markdown just fine for me.

9. 9 Posted by Robert Matei on 06 Mar, 2009 10:47 PM

Specifically, bulleted lists (* item) don't work, either in milestones or edited comments. They do work when I'm first writing a comment. You can see an example in the ticket I linked to.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Lighthouse Support < [email blocked]> wrote:

10. 10 Posted by Will Duncan on 06 Mar, 2009 11:13 PM

Humm. It looks like you need an extra return in there, no sure if the [space] [space] [return] linebreak is working correctly in that situation as it should, but if you inject the return between the last line before the bullets it should work.

11. 11 Posted by Robert Matei on 07 Mar, 2009 12:09 AM

Oh, all right. Indeed adding an extra line break does it. Don't know if this is just a Markdown quirk or something, this was the only formatting I was trying to use, hence my impression of it working and not working at random.

Thanks for the great responsiveness!

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Lighthouse Support < [email blocked]> wrote:

12. 12 Posted by Will Duncan on 07 Mar, 2009 12:14 AM

It might be quirk in our markdown in Lighthouse vs something on say a desktop app like Textmate, but I've made a note for us to double check it. I'm glad it's working for you now. That was actually a pretty simple oversight, so no worries.

If you have any other questions, you know where to find us.

13. brandi closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2012 10:10 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac