user groups for ticket bins (cont.)

Kay Young

15 Oct, 2010 09:34 PM

This discussion is a continuation of the now-closed discussion:
http://help.lighthouseapp.com/discussions/suggestions/640-user-grou...

What I'd like to avoid is having to keep tags in agreement with the user who is responsible for the ticket (DRY). That is: I want to avoid adding a tag "group:my_company" when I (or anyone else) assigns a ticket to any member of my company, and simultaneously needing to remove any tags such as "group:other_company".

1. 1 Posted by Will Duncan on 15 Oct, 2010 10:08 PM

Kay. Could you explain the tag thing a bit further? I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to explain with the tags.

2. 2 Posted by Kay Young on 15 Oct, 2010 10:18 PM

I'm actually referring to a suggestion made by Nicole in the original suggestion: that tags could be used as a work-around for user groups.

(see the link to the closed discussion, above)

3. 3 Posted by Will Duncan on 16 Oct, 2010 12:10 AM

So you're saying tags don't work because of the hassle of adding and removing them?

4. 4 Posted by Kay Young on 16 Oct, 2010 12:23 AM

This suggestion isn't a hassle-reduction opportunity (altho I'm sure those are useful suggestions, too) it is a suggestion to make groups usable in practice.

If tags were used as Nicole suggests, then in practice the tags would be regularly disagree with the actual assigned user (Ticket assigned to a member of one company, tag still referencing another company.) Therefore this approach is not dependable, and therefore can't be leveraged.

5. 5 Posted by Nicole on 18 Oct, 2010 03:33 PM

Kay -

Unfortunately we have no plans to add any permission level changes to how bins are handled.

We regularly tag tickets with branch:foo. While anyone who is a member of the account may see these tickets, it does work to group those tickets. It sounds like your needs require more strict control of even who sees the tickets and we just don't have that level of control within the same project of an account.

Thanks,
    Nicole

6. 6 Posted by Kay Young on 18 Oct, 2010 03:44 PM

Its not that the tickets need permissioning (e.g. make it impossible for some users to see some tickets), the need I have is for bins for all tickets assigned to a group so that it is easy to see, for example, all the tickets my group (company) is responsible for. It is ok if other groups (companies) can also see the tickets I'm responsible for.

7. 7 Posted by Nicole on 18 Oct, 2010 04:52 PM

Kay -

If you tag all tickets company:foo and then do a search for tagged:"company:foo" you can then save that bin so that all tickets tagged (i.e. that company is responsible for) will come up when users select that bin.

If that won't work, then you could create a bin based on tickets belonging to all users in a certain company by searching responsible:bob responsible:sue responsible:mary, where all those from the same company are "responsible" for the tickets in the bin and name the bin for each company. That bin would then hold Company A's user's tickets and would reflect the changes in who's responsible as you make them.

Let me know if you have questions. I think the second option would work with the situation you've just described.

Thanks,
    Nicole

8. 8 Posted by Kay Young on 18 Oct, 2010 06:02 PM

Thanks Nicole, that is what I'll do.

Nonetheless, as a feature suggestion, it would be nice to be able to have bins such as "high priority, my company", "medium priority, my company", "low priority, my company" without repeating who "my company" is in three different bins.

That could be explicit user groups, so that the search would be "group:my_company priority:1 state:open" or it could often be done with wildcard matches such as "responsible:*@my_company.com priority:1 state:open"

9. Nicole closed this discussion on 26 Oct, 2010 03:43 AM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac