Display entire list of tags before starting to type a tag

Svetlana A Savelyeva

19 Nov, 2009 04:28 PM

I just noticed that you put out a new interface for the tags. I really like it. Thanks.

One thing that I think is missing though is being able to view all tags right before I start typing one. So if another team is filing a bug for my team, they would have to remember tags that they may not generally use.

Here is what I am suggesting:

1. Once I click into the tag field - if there are no tags, the whole list is displayed to me. Once I start typing, the list gets filtered.
  2. If I click in a middle of word (aka there is a symbol other than a space to the left of the cursor), it counts everything that is to the left of it until a space or end of line.
  3. After finishing typing a tag, once I typed a space, the whole list gets displayed again.

What do you think of that? Would this be hard to implement?

1. 1 Posted by Will Duncan on 19 Nov, 2009 11:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll bring this up with the UI team. Maybe we could add a toggle/drop down for current tags. The problem with the old tag cloud system a few revisions ago was that people with a large number of tags lost a lot of real estate at the bottom of the page, so we condensed it, and then with autocomplete took it out completely.

We'll definitely take this under revision though.

2. 2 Posted by Svetlana A Save... on 19 Nov, 2009 11:34 PM

Thank you very much!

Btw, I totally can see how annoying it'd be to have that list displayed when
    there are a lot of them.

It would be cool if there were a checkbox per user account that would either
    turn on or turn off this list. One important aspect to this modification
    though is to provide ability to turn it on/off for all users through an
    admin account. Also will this checkbox be checked when a new user signs up?
    Should there be this option in the "invite new user" and "modify user"
    screens?

3. 3 Posted by Will Duncan on 19 Nov, 2009 11:36 PM

I'd assume the easiest solution would be to add a toggle/dropdown that is always there, so if you want to see the list one click and it's there. But that's for the UI team to decide. We're still getting feedback from users, so we'll give it a few days before we start deciding what is next.

4. 4 Posted by iuri on 30 Nov, 2009 07:20 PM

+1 on listing all tags! (number #1).

and it can be the simple dropdown.

5. Amanda Harasty closed this discussion on 15 Aug, 2011 07:26 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac