Please don't require typing to see the set of possible tags

ben

10 Jun, 2009 03:46 AM

When I go to add a tag to a ticket, the set of available tags does not immediately appear when I click in the text field. It only appears when I start typing.

I find this hard to use. Now my normal workflow for tags goes

1. Click in tags text field
  2. Type a letter
  3. Delete that letter and click on the set of tags I want to apply (if I don't delete the letter, then that letter will be added as a separate tag)

I find the current design discourages adding tags (because it looks like there are no existing tags to choose from until you start typing) and increases the chance of creating bad tags (because it's easy to mistype a tag name, then click on the right name and get both)

1. 1 Posted by Will Duncan on 10 Jun, 2009 08:13 AM

Thank you for the input Ben. I'll pass this along to our dev team for future refinements. I believe some of the code is fairly new to the UI that has been added changing the tagging functionality a bit.

2. 2 Posted by System on 13 Aug, 2009 05:29 AM

A Lighthouse ticket was created for this discussion

3. 3 Posted by Andrew Pouliot on 13 Aug, 2009 05:43 AM

I feel the exact same way, and it's leading to a bunch of duplicate tags on our projects.
    Also, is there anyway to manage tags?

4. 4 Posted by System on 15 Aug, 2009 06:12 AM

This discussion was assigned to Justin Palmer, on ticket 400.

5. 5 Posted by Jeroen Janssen on 02 Nov, 2009 11:15 AM

+1

I feel the new tags UI is really a step backwards,

6. 6 Posted by Brett Stauner on 19 Nov, 2009 09:37 PM

I love the new tag UI, but I do see a small problem. I very much like the type and quickly select your tag, as there are so many other web apps that work in this fashion, but what I have noticed is this way there is no tag list to review, so you cannot choose a tag from a list at all, all tag assignments have to come from memory that they exist. Even putting the tag cloud on the ticket view page would be a help to know what's available, or possibly a way to get a full list just by clicking in the box, and then narrow as you type.

Sometimes its just nice to see what tags are out there.

7. 7 Posted by Justin Palmer on 19 Nov, 2009 10:22 PM

bstauner: I agree that it would be nice to see a complete list of tags to choose from. I might end up implementing some kind of lightbox thing that shows you all tags in addition to our new tag interface. For those who want to see the master list can, and for those who don't won't have to worry about it cluttering the form.

Thanks for the suggestion.

8. Nicole closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2012 08:53 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac