The new email notification format

Nils Lefring

08 Oct, 2013 11:39 AM

Hi, thx for a great system. We've noticed the latest updates to the email notification format, which we do appreciate. However, the quoting of new text is really confusing - was that deliberate? We would expect new text to be unqouted and quoted text to be quoted.

1. 1 Posted by Julien on 08 Oct, 2013 08:40 PM

Hey Nils,

I think it was intentional for some reason that I can't remember, but I'll take another look at it later this week (I'm kinda full today). Do you have any other comments about it, things you'd like improved?

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by Nils Lefring on 09 Oct, 2013 05:08 PM

Hi, thx for quick response, no other feedback besides: good job!

Best
    /Nils

3. 3 Posted by Julien on 11 Oct, 2013 12:40 AM

Hey Nils,

I took another look at the email, and I think I added that blockquote to improve readability and clearly delineate the reply from the rest of the email, which already has a lot of stuff. It's not semantically correct but I find it easier to read. Plus blockquotes within that one still show up properly, so it doesn't feel like a big problem.

What do you think? Has it been a big problem for you? Do you have specific ticket notifications I could look at to get a better feel of how we can improve this?

Thanks!

4. 4 Posted by Julien on 28 Oct, 2013 05:02 PM

Hey Nils,

Just following up on this to see if you needed help with anything else.

Thanks!

5. 5 Posted by Nils Lefring on 29 Oct, 2013 10:11 AM

Julien,

Thx for following up. The blockquote does not impose any problems for us, it was just an observation. We’ve gotten used to it now! Your reasoning behind it makes sense, and it does single out the actual reply from the general ticket metadata.

Another thing we’ve been discussing: after your notification refactoring, we also get notifications on ticket edits, which is good. However, we do see a lot of “unnecessary” notifications of edits made within a short period of time, e.g. format and spelling corrections etc. So sometimes we get spammed. How about implementing a grace period of e.g. 1 minute after a create or edit operation has been made before you send the notification? And reset the grace period if the user edits the same post within the minute? Attaching an example where one of our customers edited the same post multiple times (I think he was trying to get the formatting right). This resulted in five emails sent to a lot of people, where the actual content was the same.

Keep up the good work!

Best
    /Nils

6. 6 Posted by Julien on 30 Oct, 2013 07:10 PM

Hey Nils,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. This seems like a good idea. I've been quite busy lately, so I'm not sure when I'll have time to implement it, but I'll keep it in my queue for when things lighten up a bit.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Cheers!

7. 7 Posted by Nils Lefring on 31 Oct, 2013 01:21 PM

Julien,

Thx for the update, guessing it’s a nice-to-have anyway.

Another thing that I have been wanting to ask you, but never gotten around to, is to request the ability to create custom dropdowns for tickets per project. Currently, there are four ticket dropdowns (Responsible, Milestone, State and Importance). And on top of this, tags can be used to provide a ticket with whatever information. However, we see the need for a more “controlled manner” than tags in order to get input from our customers, i.e. I want to control the possible options. As an example I would want to have a dropdown for “originating version” where the customer should select the software version (from a controlled list) in which the issue has been found. Today we are using the Milestone feature for this, and it gets really confusing as we also use the Milestone to indicate to the customer when it will be fixed (see example here: https://vidispine.lighthouseapp.com/projects/66815-cantemo/tickets/371-shape-metadata-is-not-serachable#ticket-371-2)

For another customer (partner really), we are currently using the Milestones feature to indicate in which of their customer systems an issue has occurred – this should really be entered in a different way, but I’m not able to get them to use the tags function reliably or consistently.

Do you understand the request?

/Nils

8. 8 Posted by Julien on 31 Oct, 2013 06:35 PM

Hey Nils,

Totally understand. We have always been against custom fields for Lighthouse, as we don't want to turn into one of those horrible enterprise bugtracker that make you want to hurt yourself. We want to keep Lighthouse simple, but there is definitely a need there, that tags, because they are freeform and unrestricted, do not quite address.

The solution we have for this would be to implement "labels", kinda like Github does it, with colors and stuff. Unfortunately, this is scheduled to be part of a rewrite of Lighthouse we have started, and so not due for a couple of months (though we strive to keep Lighthouse simple, the codebase itself is quite large).

So yes to the feature, but in the future.

Cheers.

9. 9 Posted by Nils Lefring on 01 Nov, 2013 12:46 PM

Sounds great, keep up the good work.

Another request (guess you regret opening the Swedish vault of requests now.. ☺) would be to expose ticket tags in the /Tickets-view in a project. Example: in this customer project (https://vidispine.lighthouseapp.com/projects/56451-hogarth/tickets) we are using tags to indicate to our customers in which release we aim to fix the issue. But in the tickets-view the tag info is not displayed, so one has to open every ticket to see the details. How about exposing the tags in a separate column, or as part of the mouse-over-tooltip?

/nils

10. 10 Posted by Julien on 04 Nov, 2013 10:42 PM

Hey Nils,

I'm afraid it's probably another thing we'll address in the rewrite.

Can you tell me more about the use case though? You could maybe use a bin with a tag search to address this particular issue, or a sort by milestone.

11. 11 Posted by Nils Lefring on 05 Nov, 2013 10:34 AM

We’ve already “spent” the milestone feature to indicate origin and target release for the fix, for this partner. The partner adds tags to the ticket to indicate which end customer it comes from, if it is live or staging, severity according to them etc etc. Seeing this at first glance in the ticket view (as mouse-over information) is very very valueable to both them and me.

Likewise, if you implement support for custom dropdowns (same style as Milestone), this information would also be good to display in the default ticket view somehow, as a column or as mouse-over tooltip.

/Nils

12. 12 Posted by Julien on 05 Nov, 2013 09:49 PM

Hey Nils,

Thanks for the additional information. It is unlikely that we will develop those features for the current version of Lighthouse, as this is the kind of feature that requires some thoughts in terms of UI and UX, and that we can't just pile on top of the existing ticket list view. I would rather spend that time doing it right in the new UI, where we will have more control and freedom.

Let me know if you have any question.

Cheers!

13. Julien closed this discussion on 20 Nov, 2013 09:51 PM.

14. Julien re-opened this discussion on 26 Nov, 2013 08:19 PM

15. 13 Posted by Julien on 26 Nov, 2013 08:19 PM

Follow up on this discussion, since it's public and it might help other users. I'm not sure when we'll implement a good solution to show tags on the ticket list, so here is a hack to get it now.

If you use Chrome, install Tampermonkey, if you use Firefox, install Greasemonkey, and then install this script. You can look at the source, it's very straightforward.

Cheers.

16. 14 Posted by Nils Lefring on 26 Nov, 2013 08:27 PM

Works like a charm!!!!

Tried the Chrome part. 1 minute install, smooth like a glove, fabulous!!

/Nils

17. 15 Posted by Julien on 26 Nov, 2013 08:30 PM

Hey Nils,

Great :)

Cheers!

18. Julien closed this discussion on 26 Nov, 2013 08:30 PM.

19. Nils Lefring re-opened this discussion on 14 Mar, 2014 09:05 AM

20. 16 Posted by Nils Lefring on 14 Mar, 2014 09:05 AM

Hi, wanted to understand your progress of your Lighthouse rewrite you refer to in post 9 above. We would really, really, really like some more flexibility in adding metadata to the tickets (custom dropdowns). I spend most my day in Lighthouse and this hits me every hour.

Best
    /Nils

21. 17 Posted by Nicole on 14 Mar, 2014 02:41 PM

Nils -

The rewrite/redesign is still a work in progress. We've got tickets associated with this discussion and when we have them scheduled for a development cycle we'll update you.

Thanks for your patience,
    Nicole

22. 18 Posted by Nils Lefring on 14 Mar, 2014 07:20 PM

Ok, thank you. And sorry for shooting multiple feature requests at you in one thread! I yell at our customers when they do that. :)

23. Julien closed this discussion on 04 Apr, 2014 10:55 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac