Is it possible to choose the ordering of milestones without adding a date

Thomas Gaylard (Admin)

01 Aug, 2011 09:54 AM

Hello there,

I am using milestones on my project but I don't want to assign specific dates with each milestone because it isn't a time driven project and I can't predict in advance how much time will be spent on it.

I would like to set up milestones which are ordered without actually having an end date. I thought that perhaps they could be ordered alphabetically on title so I could at least put a number at the beginning of the title and affect the order that way, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Is there a way to achieve this? Any help gratefully received.

1. 1 Posted by Nicole on 01 Aug, 2011 03:12 PM

No, there is no way to selectively order milestones at this time. However, if none of your milestones have dates, they should be alpha ordered. Can you tell me which project this is for? We can take a look.

Thanks,
    Nicole

2. 2 Posted by Thomas Gaylard ... on 01 Aug, 2011 06:21 PM

Thanks for the reply Nicole. The project I am using is PokerAnalysis. I have added numbers to the beginning of each milestone but this didn't alter the ordering, and certainly they aren't in alphabetical order.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Thomas

3. 3 Posted by Nicole on 01 Aug, 2011 07:33 PM

It's ignoring the numbering for sure, but it is alpha order based on first alpha character. I'll get a development ticket started for this so we can make it respect numerals as well.

Thanks,
    Nicole

4. 4 Posted by Thomas Gaylard on 01 Aug, 2011 09:13 PM

Thanks - yes it does look as though it is ordering on Alpha characters, but if I put an A at the front of a milestone that doesn't seem to make any difference to its order.

I note from your discussion board that a few people have commented on this, although from different angles. There seems to be a consensus that it would be useful to be able to influence the order of non-dated milestones, either by numbering them, putting a priority on them, or just by ordering them consistently using alphanumeric sorting. Any of these would be better than current approach although my preferred would just be to be able to move milestones up and down to get a specific ordering.

I will definitely settle for Alphanumeric ordering as you suggest though :-)

Thanks again for your help.

5. Nicole closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2012 09:01 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac