Can I edit an existing comment?

Matt Wynne

12 Nov, 2008 10:57 PM

I keep embarrassing myself by not getting my markdown right. There's no preview, and I can't seem to edit the comment once I've saved it.

Am I being dumb and missing something?

1. 1 Posted by Rick on 12 Nov, 2008 11:03 PM

You're talking about Tender, our support system, right? It's because you're not signed into the system. We just added support for anonymous users to post private issues through a unique cookie token (removing the need for you to setup a password). We haven't pushed this feature to comment editing so that you're able to edit your own comment.

It's of course definitely needed, as is a markdown preview.

2. 2 Posted by Matt Wynne on 13 Nov, 2008 08:00 AM

No, I'm talking about normal issues on the site. I do have an account, I just didn't log in to post this support issue, for some reason.

e.g.
    http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211/tickets/57-scenario-t...

I which I try to make bullet points but forget that lighthouse's flavour of markdown doesn't like the bullets to be indented.

Make sense?

3. 3 Posted by Will Duncan on 13 Nov, 2008 08:08 AM

We've tossed around a preview idea for LH for a while and just haven't buckled down to make the final call and see about implementing it. Not that we have full-blown markdown it would be a nice feature.

Are you a member of that rspec project? or just commenting there as a user?

4. 4 Posted by Matt Wynne on 13 Nov, 2008 09:23 AM

If there were just a way for me to be able to go back in to a comment and edit it once I see that it looks crap, that would be enough for me - must the the cheapest answer to this problem for now, eh?

Are you a member of that rspec project? or just commenting there as a user? I've only been writing Ruby for three months so I don't think they'll let me loose on the code yet!

I'm using Cucumber and RSpec heavily though - it's one of the main reasons I jumped the gap from C#, and I'm active on the mailing list.

Why do you ask? Are you guys using it?

5. 5 Posted by Matt Wynne on 13 Nov, 2008 09:24 AM

Argh - see I did it again - needed a line break after my quote.

6. 6 Posted by Will Duncan on 13 Nov, 2008 07:22 PM

Matt, I'm confused...you're referring to the rspec project and being able to edit your tickets. But are you an actual member of that LH project? or just a user who is posting?

7. 7 Posted by Matt Wynne on 14 Nov, 2008 10:45 AM

No, I'm just a user who is posting.

Is that why I can't edit my own comments on a ticket?

8. 8 Posted by Will Duncan on 14 Nov, 2008 07:40 PM

You can edit your original ticket, but not comments. I'll see if we can't get this tweaked, or make it so for a period of time you can edit, like 30 minutes or something. Not quite sure what happened, I believe you used to always be able to edit your own tickets, but maybe it's changed.

I'll ping Rick about it and get back to you.

9. 9 Posted by Andrew on 03 Dec, 2008 03:39 PM

I'd love to see a true preview feature, not just the ability to edit comments. So often in bug reports I see people try to post code, fail, and say "sorry, let me try again..." People are trained to look for a "preview" button and won't necessarily realize they can edit their comments after the fact, IMO.

10. 10 Posted by Matt Wynne on 03 Dec, 2008 08:20 PM

+1

like the one on stack overflow, for example.

11. 11 Posted by manfred on 09 Dec, 2008 10:56 AM

Yeah, a preview would be nice. Editing your comment could mean that someone still sees your broken comment.

12. 12 Posted by System on 09 Dec, 2008 06:25 PM

This discussion was assigned to Jeremy McAnally, on ticket 55.

13. 13 Posted by phil on 26 Mar, 2009 08:46 PM

+1

Jawohl!

14. brandi closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2012 10:10 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac