subdomain problems from China

jhancock

15 Oct, 2008 04:15 AM

merb.lighthouseapp.com is the intended way to get to that project. Cool, I like the approach. But subdomains are not always replicated by default in China's DNS system. We really need alternate project home links like lighthouseapp.com/project/merb. This would work with the China DNS system. Maybe you already have some routing like this and I just don't know.

As additional example, my google apps mail should be accessible from mail.shellshadow.com. All is set up correctly for this and from the U.S. it routes just fine. But inside China I have to use mail.google.com/a/shellshadow.com to get to my home page.
This sort of thing is only getting tighter over here. Best to start to understand the limitations that web apps with global exposure will have from within China.

Also know that changing IP addresses with your servers can cause long term disruptions with China's DNS system catching up to the change (if at all).

I initially reported this bug on the merb google group as I could not log into lighthouse. You may have simply overlooked this, but your home page, lighthouseapp.com has no sign-in link. I have to dig around a bit and get to a page that requires login to force a login just so I can then report this bug ;)

1. 1 Posted by Will Duncan on 15 Oct, 2008 08:00 AM

We're currently in the midst of reorganizing our support/bug tracking structure for Lighthouse, but you've found the right place. We're consolidating our support efforts for Lighthouse to http://help.lighthouseapp.com which is now the link at the footer of all Lighthouse account/projects.

That's interesting what you mentioned about China's DNS system. Lighthouse currently doesn't offer links like you mentioned though. Accounts are assigned a subdomain and then projects follow / in the URLs.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Lighthouse please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac